Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Challenge Day One: A Huge Reality Check

Yesterday was the first day of September, the first day of the $75 per Week Grocery Challenge. I had done our big shopping for the week on Sunday, but we were already out of fresh fruit, a staple in our girls' diet. So after putting the girls to bed last night, Al ran to the Jewel to restock our supply.

Now, I love the new Jewel, only 5 minutes from our house. It's new, clean, attractive, well stocked, and the produce is always great.

But it's expensive!

Al came home with one box of strawberries, two boxes of blueberries and a bunch of bananas. He also picked up a package of razors and some shaving cream (both store brand) and deoderant (name brand). And a couple of cups of yogurt he enjoys after his running. There were no "extras" like snacks or bottled drinks.

The total came to $26.03. That's a third of our weekly budget.

Ouch!

So I have found a huge hole in our grocery budget. We do have to restock our fresh fruit halfway through the week, but I can do better if I go to Woodman's or Aldi. And if Al needs something, he can tell me and I can get it somewhere much cheaper, and maybe even with coupons.

I still think I'll be OK this week and can come pretty close to meeting the challenge. But what's priceless (sorry MasterCard) is finding that huge hole! Which is really a big part of what this challenge is all about!

3 comments:

Owlhaven said...

Yeah, those close convenient places get me sometimes too!

Kathleen said...

You are doing a great job!!! I am so proud of you and I hope to try this challenge soon. We are trying to cut back as much as we can and we are making progress. Baby steps, baby steps!!

Created For His Glory said...

What is it with men having to have "name brand" deoderant??? LOL! The dollar store has those sort of things too keep in mind!
You're gonna do great! :)