Friday, May 20, 2011

Did You Know...

...you can make oatmeal very quickly and easily in your rice cooker?
Mary Ostyn of Owlhaven (one of my all-time favorite blogs) has written a wonderful book called "Family Feasts for $75 a Week". I borrowed it from the library several times and finally purchased my own copy from Amazon last week (it's on sale right now for limited time for $7.18!). The very first tip I took away from it was that you can cook oatmeal in your rice cooker! Use quick oats, adding two parts water for every one part oatmeal. She jazzes hers up with sugar and vanilla and other stuff, but I just make mine plain and add the tasties after it's cooked. We have always added brown sugar and some milk, but over Thanksgiving, while in Vermont, we tried it with real maple syrup added, and now that's an absolute requirement!



Much cheaper than those little packets, and healthier without all the additives and preservatives. I just put it on when I get up in the morning and it's ready by the time everyone comes downstairs for breakfast.


Oh, yeah - totally Aldi friendly (unless you want real maple syrup)!


David's on his third bowl this morning...

No comments: