Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What a Treat!

My dear mom is cleaning out her basement in anticipation of a move. That's 40+ years of "treasures, mementos and useful stuff", folks! I have a good idea of what a challenge it is for her as I have inherited her "saving" gene - that is, that inherent part of my personality that saves everything because it is either sentimental or might have some use someday. It's not pretty (just come and take a peek at my basement, if you don't believe me).

Anyway, she has unearthed all the books I read as a child, and kindly sent them on to me. I received four of the six boxes in the mail today, and it was like Christmas around here! There were picture books for Abbie, "I Can Read" books for Rachel (she tore through most of them this evening while waiting for dinner), and young biographies and fairy tale treasuries for Hannah. There are a few science-y ones that Hannah's excited about, too. And my copy of The Secret Garden, which I look forward to reading aloud to them, maybe this summer. Most of these books I haven't seen in years - no, decades! And you know how they say that scents and fragrances have a unique way of triggering memories, no matter how far back? I think the same could be said for illustrations in children's books as well. Just looking at some of those pictures instantly brought me back to my little bedroom with the tulip wallpaper and the purple quilted bedspread. I just love reliving my childhood through my girls!

Thank you, Nana, for taking the time to send your girls these books. They (and I) are thrilled!

No comments: