Friday, June 12, 2009

The Life of a Humble Kidney Bean

This spring, I thought it would be fun for Abbie to watch a seed become a plant. I grabbed a few kidney beans from my pantry, and we wrapped them in damp paper towel and put them in a ziplock bag in a dark cupboard. A few days later, they had sprung little hair-like, white roots! It was time to plant them in plastic cups...

Spooning some potting soil into the cups...


Carefully planting the beans, roots pointing down...



Happy to be working with "nature"!


Give them a little drink, then wait a few days to see what happens...


A few days later, we had a tiny plant (you probably can't even see it in this picture)!
I gave Abbie a terra cotta pot and dish to decorate with paints, and plant her bean plants in. A couple of weeks later we had some big, wonderful leaves!
Then, Abbie decided to do a little art project with some of the leaves. She took out her little safety scissors and got to work. I thought she was just going to snip a few leaves off, but she ended up hacking away at that poor plant!
Her works of art...

...and all that remained of the bean plant! :(

It was, I keep reminding myself, a learning experience!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

What can you say...Great job mixing science and art!!!

Karin Katherine said...

Wow, those *were* some great plant leaves. How long did that take? Poor plant! LOL