Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Homemade Barbecue Sauce

A couple of years ago, when I was learning all about canning, I found this recipe for homemade barbecue sauce. I've canned it to give as gifts, and have served it at different parties, and it always gets rave reviews. I have two events to make appetizers for this weekend (our adoption agency's China waiting children potluck and Rachel's China group's Gotcha Day party), so I'm simmering a pot of this sauce on my stove right now. I just toss in a bunch of frozen meatballs, heat the whole thing through in the crock pot, and I've got an appetizer that I know will disappear. Just one problem - no leftovers for us the next day!

Homemade Barbecue Sauce
44 ounces ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup molasses
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 bay leaves, crushed
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon cracked pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 small can (8 3/4 oz) crushed pineapple
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon ginger

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, 30 to 40 minutes until sauce is well blended. Ladle into hot jars. Clean rims of jars and seal. Process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.

Makes about 4 to 5 pints.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I must try this...we loved the gift you sent to us. Thanks for the recipe!!