Wednesday, July 11, 2007

We Found Her "Currency"!

Abbie, though completely capable physically, has had no interest in using the potty. I have tried all the tricks, including M&Ms and other bribes. When I told her that she needed to use the potty consistently in order to go to preschool in the fall, her reply was, "That's OK, I don't really want to go to preschool." (Insert frustrated Mommy sounds here.)

So a couple of weeks ago, I found a local church that was holding a VBS that included preschoolers as young as three years old. So all three of my girls would be able to attend. As long as Abbie was potty trained. So I did what any self-respecting Christian mom would do - I prayed. And I admit, not just because I wanted Abbie to have the VBS experience (though I knew she'd love it), but also because it would be good for me to have a little break - just three hours a morning for five mornings. That's it. Lord, please let her use the potty so she can go to VBS and I can get some extra stuff done without all the extra "help"!

I approached Abbie with the plan. She would learn to use the potty over the next two weeks, and then she could go to VBS with her big sisters - just like the Big Girls! "But Mommy," she replied, "who will stay with you while we're all at VBS?" I saw where this was going. Me: "Ummm... uuuuuhhhh..." Abbie: "No, I don't want to go to VBS. You'll be lonely." Oh, honey, really, I'll manage!

But then, she gave it a little thought, and said, "OK, I want to use the potty!" Hallelujah! Day One was a Monday, and she stayed dry all day! Granted, she went potty about a hundred times, managing to squeeze out a couple of drops most of those times. Did I mention that I sweetened the deal with an M&M each time she went? Being the generous little soul she is, she insisted on giving each of her sisters an M&M, too, to help her celebrate. Day Two was dry, too! Day Three, there were a couple of accidents. Then for the rest of the two weeks she was totally dry! Woo hoooo! It seems we have, in the words of Dr. Phil, "found her currency", her motivation, the thing that will do the trick! She, and her sisters, are having a wonderful time at VBS, and we have tackled potty training in the process!

So, am I totally nuts to be a little sad that another one of my children is growing up and becoming a "Big Girl"? It was nice not to have to spend money on Pull Ups the last couple of weeks, but boy, my baby isn't a baby any more! Oh, and her little fanny looks so tiny in her pants without the extra padding! And she loves her new Tinkerbell panties!

1 comment:

live2qlt said...

Even though your little one is growing up, isn't it great to not have to change diapers anymore! Erin has been in panties now for a couple of months and she's doing great. She gets to go to big girl activities too because she wears panties! She even wakes up dry most mornings so it won't be long before I can totally get rid of pullups! YEA! Congratulations Abbie!