Wednesday, December 23, 2009

We Are Blessed!

Yesterday, as I opened the mail, I found a small note card in with the stack of Christmas cards. Inside was a lovely note - and a check. A check for a substantial amount of money. A check, the note explained, that was meant to help us with David's adoption.

I cried hard as Al hugged me.

David's adoption came up fast. And as anyone who is even remotely familiar with intercountry adoption knows, the huge expenses related to his adoption came up fast, too. We've been scrambling, crunching the numbers, weighing our options. I will tell you that we've both lost more than a few hours' sleep wondering where we would come up with that amount of money so quickly.

I've read many blogs written by adoptive families who have found themselves in this same situation. So many times, God has provided exactly what they have needed to complete their adoptions, often in the form of a surprise gift like this. I have tried to continuously keep in mind that God knows what we need, and He will take care of us, and especially David. The speed at which all of the steps for this adoption have been completed is evidence to us that He is working everything out. But surprise gifts of money are the kind of thing that happens to other people - not us. I guess I've been proven wrong.

Yesterday, Hannah was looking for something to do. She wandered into our bedroom, picked up my Dad's old King James Bible that I display on a little table and began to read. This morning she told me that she had chosen to memorize Isaiah 41:10, and recited it to me:

Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

What a blessing it was for me to share the news of our gift with Hannah in light of this verse she learned! I love when we can share with our children the real-life examples God gives us of His love and provision!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I love to see how the Lord works and it always makes me CRY!!!! He is writing David's adoption story and I am in awe at what he is doing in that precious boys life:) Big hugs and kisses from Vermont and have a very Merry Christmas!!!!

Karin Katherine said...

This is so exciting. I'm so glad you felt His hand in David's adoption. What a blessing in every sense for your precious family. I also wanted you to know about HelpUsAdopt.org It is an organization started by friends of ours that helps fund adoptions for families you find themselves in your position. I'm so proud of Becky and Kipp and the work they are doing in this organization. Although you received your blessing already, maybe you can help spread the word and bless another with assistance.

It is completely free to apply.