Thursday, May 20, 2010

Just Another Day...

I think I've had trouble keeping up with the blogging because I want to write beautiful posts that capture the essence of life in this busy, loving family, illustrated with gorgeous photos of my children taken with my new camera. But that takes time. And in the mean time, the days are just rushing by, and I know that in months and years to come, I will wish I could look back on what our daily lives were like during this wonderful time.

Then I read this blog post by Rachel at Stack of Plates and decided to re-think what I want this blog to be. Yes, I want to share the latest photos of the children and all the interesting stuff we're doing. That's for the friends and family who read this blog. But I also love the idea of being able to just look back at a journal of our everyday life together and remember and treasure these ordinary days. Because they are flying by much too quickly. And I don't want to forget how precious they are as I race around from one task to another.

So some of my posts may be pretty dull to my readers. But I bet that those will be the posts I cherish the most...

So here's how my day went today. Very busy, and the kind of day that has become very typical for me...

Got the big girls off to school in the nick of time. Grabbed a shower for myself, then bathed David and Abbie. Tackled laundry and dishes and wrapped a birthday present. Then vacuumed the main floor and did some serious tidying, as David had his first speech therapy session here at the house today. During that session, I slipped into the kitchen to give Abbie her lunch. After the therapist left, I got Abbie on the bus to school, then headed to my friend Cindy's for David's first haircut. Took pictures and kept a lock in a ziplock bag. Stopped at Target on the way home to return five (count 'em) pairs of shoes I had bought for Abbie to try on and that were all too narrow (why do I even bother?). Made it home in time to meet Hannah and Abbie getting home from school. Headed back out a half hour later to pick Rachel up from after-school art class. Got home, supervised homework, and threw something that resembled dinner at the kids. Got back in the car and took Hannah to a birthday party. Took Rachel, Abbie and David to two different shoe stores before finding a pair of sandals that Abbie could squeeze her feet into (they are needed for Sunday). Got those three home, gave Rachel and Abbie snacks ("We're staaaaaarving!). Told the girls about 2,472 times to get into their jammies and brush their teeth while changing David's diaper filled with toxic waste and getting him into jammies. Then Hannah was brought home from the party and I had to tell all three girls 8,270 more times to quit fooling around and go to bed. Got David settled and asleep, and here I am blogging instead of going to bed myself...

Honestly, the best part is that I get to do it all again tomorrow!

4 comments:

live2qlt said...

Wow! I can relate. I know how busy I am with just 2 girls and I couldn't imagine doing it all for 4 kids. Erin has the opposite problem as Abbie, small, narrow feet. She likes those cute little flats, but they just flop on her so it's a struggle finding some that actually stay on her feet.

Bobbi said...

Boring....no!! I actually chuckled as it sounded much about my day!! But, like you, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now, where in the world is Al?!?!?!?!?

Becky said...

Bobbi, my dear husband is living it up in Springfield, IL for a couple of days of meetings! In his defense, we do a great "divide and conquer" when he's in town...

Mindy said...

I love to read about ordinary days....I completely relate and sometimes I feel a similar way about the mundane, silly and funny way I write. Truthfully, with all the big, serious stuff in the world I sometimes feel trite, but I believe laughter and humor is one of God's greatest gifts and it has a place too. Thanks for sharing (I SO know what you mean about shoes - I have the same issue and with clothing also!) and I'll keep reading! I'm friends with Jamie O, by the way:) And coffee sometime sounds great! Have a great weekend with your family:)