Thursday, November 01, 2007

Time to Organize!

Alrighty, everybody! Hang on! It's gonna be a wild ride!

Laura at Organizing Junkie is hosting a 30-day organizational challenge! I've decided to join in! Oh, but where to start? I could choose either the whole-room category, or the small space (closet, etc) category. I narrowed it down to our bedroom and the girls' bedroom. Not that those were the only two spaces that need organizing, but those two rooms would have the most impact on our family if they were actually organized. I finally decided on the girls' room, because it serves so many purposes - a place to sleep, to dress, to play, to have quiet time, to entertain friends. And it serves three family members (not to mention me, when I have to do stuff in there!). So the girls' room it is!

I will post "Before" photos just as soon as I have a few minutes to download them. I'm warning you, folks, these photos are bad! It's difficult to imagine that three little girls could have so much stuff, but they do! Clothes, shoes, accessories, toys, stuffed animals, knick knacks, art work, "treasures", hair pretties, books, CDs... I think the biggest impact will be just getting every stitch of clothing that is either outgrown or out-of-season simply OUT! And we MUST scale down the toys - we don't need 70,000 stuffed animals, now do we? Not to mention enough Barbies to populate a small nation. Also, there are some big furniture moves we've been procrastinating on, so now is the time to tackle them. Rachel has long since outgrown her toddler bed and is ready for a full-size twin bed. Abbie, at 3 1/2 years old, is still perfectly content to sleep in a crib, but it's time for her to "move on up", too. I'd like to get matching bedding for Hannah and Rachel's beds. The carpet needs to be steam cleaned. We need new shades in the windows that actually work. And then there's all the fun of "containerizing" (is that a word?)!

I'll keep you all updated on the progress I make. But as I type out my list of what I want to accomplish in that room, all I can say is, "Only 30 days? Oh, I'm gonna need a few more!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Baby steps! You'd be surprised what you can accomplish in 30 days! Good luck.