Saturday, July 04, 2009

Old Family Photos

I was organizing a bookcase this morning and found a little photo album I had filled with copies of old family photos. I thought I'd share them with you...


This is my great grandfather, Michael Lambrese, with my grandmother, Lucia. I wish I had known Grandpa. He was a musician, as was my Grammie. He came to the U.S. from Italy when he was a young man.



This is my Grammie, Lucia, with my Grampie, Albert Skalski. They were newlyweds here, in the late 1930s. Love the car.


My Grampie served in the Army during WWII and Korea. His Army buddies called him "Skal". He was the mess sargeant, and I understand he could do wonders with basic Army food.



Grampie looked so handsome in uniform. I've been told he was a talented rifleman.


Here is my great grandmother, Nellie Lambrese, holding my mom when she was a baby. My mom and I called her Nana, which is part of the reason I wanted my girls to call my mom Nana. Nellie came to the U.S. from Italy when she was very little (3, I think), and worked in the textile mills when she was about 9 years old. She and Grandpa ran a successful little neighborhood grocery store during the Depression.



Here are my Grammie and my mom, Cynthia. Judging by my mom's age, I'd say this photo was taken in the late 1940s.


This photo was taken in my great aunt Esther and great uncle Johnny's basement at a family Christmas party. Grammie is seated on the far right, Grampie is standing behind her, and Mom is standing on the very end. Notice my mom's lovely "picture feet" - she knew how to place her feet properly at a young age.


My mom is a teenager here - probably the mid-1950s. Again, the attractively positioned feet. I think my mom bears a striking resemblance to the young Audrey Hepburn. My dad thought so, too. What do you think?
See? What did I tell you?


My mom and dad, Cynthia and Bruce, basking in the glow of the aluminum Christmas tree, circa 1960. I think they were engaged here.


My Nana, Nellie. She had such a pretty smile.


Mom and Dad, and a stuffed dog named Fafu that Dad had given Mom. Note the ball fringe on the lampshade!


Grammie, Mom (and Fafu), Nana, and Grampie.

I have lots more to scan and share for future posts, including Al as a little tyke! Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

So you have to be wondering why so many comments tonight. I finally have my computer back up and running and I have so much to catch up on with your blog. I have loved your last few posts and this one was amazing. Love the humor, aluminum Christmas tree, and the fabulous lampshade in your parents photo. Great memories and wonderful photos. It is so neat to look back. I Can't wait to see little Al!